Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wanting What Others Have

I was the first of my friends to get married, and the first to have kids. Now when I was "planning" my life, I thought that I would go through school have a good career, find a good man to marry, work for 3-5 years and THEN think about having kids. But that wasn't in store for me. I finished some school, married the Hubs, graduated with my Cert. in Dental Technology, and had a pretty good job to help me get through school. My SURPRISE, aka Kid #1 came even after we were being EXTRA careful to NOT have kids. So chalk it up to "It was meant to be..". Because we had some extra complication with kid #1 (bi-lateral club foot) it was best that I stayed at home with him so I could be there for EVERY surgery. My kid needed a MOM not a baby sitter, since we had a lot of family support, staying at home was something we thought we could do and it would be best if I put my schooling on hold until we were in the clear. I've done as much school as I could do when I could. Now a mom of 2 I am NOT even close to finishing school. Most of my friends are done with school and starting to buy houses and start families. I know things aren't always going to go as planned but I really want to be done with school. I was looking at my credits and I am only half way there. Ben is going to be in school for the next 3 years (at least) and so odds are I will have to once again put my goal of finishing my education on hold. I don't think that there is anything wrong with being "just a mom", because being a mom takes a LOT more then one might think. I know that I feel better about myself and more accomplished by having more education under my belt. This next semester I will be taking night classes and I will be gone 3 nights a week. It seems so hard to peel myself away from my kids, especially since I have my baby who is so new. I don't want to miss out on the important things that will be happening to them but I also want to be able to be some-what of the woman that I had planned on being.

3 comments:

Home for Rent said...

I understand...It's nice to have your "you" time and accomplish your goals! I love being at home with my kids and grateful I finished my degree...8 days before Greta was born! You'll get it done. :)

Amy said...

Ambition is a good thing : ) You will get there! Right now you are being selfless and putting your family's needs first. That says more about you than any diploma ever would! Love you!

I'm glad we got to see you guys the other night!

Eric and Shaunna said...

It's is so interesting reading that post...you have exactly what I want!
I have a degree and a very enjoyable career (for me anyway.) Every single day, I pray that someday soon Eric will be able to get through school so that I can be at home with my kids!
You are so lucky! Enjoy this moment while you have it!